Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Will the Placer County Family Court Order Me to Work?

The short answer to this question is almost certainly yes.  One of the life-change aspects of a divorce or relationship break-up is figuring out child custody and child support responsibilities. Often times one spouse was largely responsible for the income earning and the other spouse took more day-to-day responsibility for the children.  It is important to realize that California law calculates child support based upon current day-to-day responsibility (parenting time) for the children and each parent’s income.  Thus, the parent that is paying support will want the recipient parent to boost their income to full-time earning potential.  This income boost should help lower child support obligations for the paying parent.

The recipient parent often resists this demand because they are used to being available for the children on a day-to-day basis.  The thought of returning to full-time work and the correlating adjustment upon the children is concerning.  However, regardless of these concerns, the court will generally order the recipient parent to obtain full-time wages commensurate with their work experience and opportunities in the labor market.  Sometimes this means the recipient parent is only able to earn full-time minimum wages.  Other times this means the recipient parent is capable of returning to a former job or undertaking a new but comparable job.  The principle that both parents must keep in mind is that they both must support the children to the best of their abilities.

If you are in a Placer County divorce or child support action, and you are concerned about your spouse’s earning potential and whether either or both parties are working to the best of their abilities, please give our office a call.  It is important that you have an attorney help you understand your legal rights and obligations in child support law.

El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.