Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Can I Refuse a Placer County Family Court Commissioner or Family Law Judge?

In some Placer County family law cases, a complaint we hear is that one parent will believe that the assigned family law judge or family law commissioner is not listening to their case.  Sometimes the parent will believe the Placer County family law judge or commissioner is actively biased against them and they will never get a fair outcome no matter how good their facts are. 

Placer county judges and court commissioners are required by law to be fair and neutral to all parties and to apply the law equitably.  In our experience, the Placer County judges and commissioners work very hard to do justice and rule fairly.  It must be recognized that they are only human and sometimes make mistakes.  Another issue we have noticed is that parents who are rude and offensive to the Placer County judges can hurt their cases unintentionally.  Passion in the courtroom is good so long as it is respectful and courteous to the court officials.  Placer County judges have feelings and if they are being disrespected by an overzealous parent, the judge may not be inclined to rule that parent’s way on a debatable issue. Thus, we always recommend parties treat the judge with professional respect and courtesy and to utilize the services of a Placer County family law attorney to help them.

In cases where you fear that the Placer County judge is truly not listening to your case, and hiring an attorney is unlikely to help get the judge to listen, you can issue a challenge to recuse or strike them from hearing your case.  This challenge does not require you list a reason for the striking.  You simply get to use the challenge as a matter of right under the law.  However, we strongly recommend you speak to a Placer County family law attorney before deciding to undertake this action.  There are legal and strategic considerations before issuing a challenge to a sitting Placer County judge or commissioner.

If you believe your judge or court commissioner is not listening to you and is biased against you, please call us immediately.  We offer a free half-hour consultation in which we can discuss your case and how to address any possible challenges to the judge or commissioner.  Please contact us today.

Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.