Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

I Just Moved to Placer County" How do I Qualify for Divorce in Placer County?

We live in a very mobile society, and the job market is increasingly likely to force parties to relocate. Thus in divorce cases, it can be hard to decide on the state jurisdiction to use in seeking a divorce. If you just moved to Placer County, and you need to pursue a divorce, you should consider a few things.  First, it could be less advantageous to file your Placer county divorce in California.  If you were previously a resident of a different state, you should consult with an attorney in that state as well as with an attorney in Placer County California in order to compare the advantages and disadvantages of each jurisdiction's laws on your particular case.

Second, if you decide to pursue a Placer County divorce, you must be a California resident for 6 months before you can file a petition for divorce.  You must also be a Placer County resident for 3 months before filing a petition for divorce.  Many times the discord is so strong that one or both parties feel that they cannot wait for 3-6 months.  In rush cases, parties can file a petition for a judgment of legal separation.  Then once the 6 month California residency rule is satisfied, the party can later amend their petition for divorce after.  It is important to respect all jurisdictional filing rules because breaching them can have serious negative consequences for your case.

If you just moved to Placer County California and want to obtain a California divorce, please give us a call. If you are also interested in filing a petition for legal separation in Placer County to start the process immediately, please give us a call.  We can help you understand the divorce laws in Placer County and discuss your procedural and jurisdictional options in a free half-hour attorney consultation.

Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.