• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Changing a California spousal support order

In some situations, circumstances change in a manner significant enough to necessitate a change in a previously-issued spousal support order in California divorce cases. In some situations, a party's income may have significantly changed. In others, a former spouse who is receiving support payments may have remarried or no longer needs the support for other reasons. In still other cases, the party receiving payments may have not made any efforts towards becoming self-supporting.

Whatever the reason necessitating the change, it is possible to seek a change in a spousal support order or to seek its termination by filing a post-modification motion to modify or terminate spousal support. Courts will consider such requests in the event that the change is truly significant.

People may modify spousal support either by agreement or by filing a contested motion. If the parties agree to the change, the court will normally grant the request on a routine basis. If the change is contested, the parties will be able to present evidence regarding the request at a contested hearing. When a party believes a change is warranted, it is important that they seek the change as soon as possible as the spousal support modification will not be effective until it is granted by the court. Such orders are not applied retroactively.

Spousal support is a legal court order, and as such, it is important for all parties to adhere to an existing order until and unless it is modified by further court order. Simply stopping payments without seeking a change can subject a party to legal consequences. When a person's circumstances have significantly changed, he or she may wish to seek the guidance of a family law attorney. An attorney may be able to help file the needed documents and gather the necessary evidence to support the request.

Source: Judicial Council of California, "Changing (or Ending) a Spousal/Partner Support Order", November 18, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.