• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Can you modify a child support order in California?

Sometimes, situations arise that necessitate a change to a previously issued child support order. Either the payor or the recipient may petition the court to modify a previously issued order when a change demands it.

People may wish to modify a child support order due to a significant change in income for either party or to reflect a change in the child's primary residence. In some cases, a person may have lost their job and have difficulty making their child support payment due to the change in their financial circumstances. In other cases, either parent may learn that the other parent has enjoyed a significant increase in income, and the moving party may wish to seek a new child support order in order to reflect an amount based on the new income level. A parent may have been incarcerated, or a parent may have had a child in another relationship whom he or she must also support.

No matter what the reason for seeking a modification, the moving party can initiate the action by filing a motion to modify with the court that has jurisdiction. If the parents agree to the modification, they can file a stipulated motion with the court. In circumstances in which an agreement is not reachable, then the party that files the motion to modify will then need to have a copy of the motion served on the other parent. The court will hold a contested hearing at which both parents will have the opportunity to present evidence regarding the requested modification.

Life circumstances sometimes change, requiring a modification of a previously-issued child support order. In order to accommodate such changes, California law establishes a way in which parents can seek a modification. Until a new order is issued, parents must continue paying child support as previously ordered.

Source: Judicial Council of California, "Changing a Child Support Order", December 07, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.