• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Collecting back child support in California

Custodial parents who are owed child support may be able to get a portion of the noncustodial parent's Social Security benefits. Federal law says that up to 65 percent of each check may be garnished to pay for current support obligations or back support. However, it is possible that less than that will be garnished depending on the parent's financial situation.

If a parent is unable to get the entire amount owed after garnishing Social Security benefits, it may be possible to get the rest of the money by going after federal tax refunds. Parents should be aware that SSI benefits cannot be garnished as they are considered welfare as opposed to income.

Before Social Security benefits can be garnished, the custodial parent needs a court order. For a fee that is usually around $25, a parent may apply for child support services offered by the state if the children are still minors. If the children are not minors, a parent may need to hire an attorney to get a court order, or it may be possible to get state services if a parent applied for them while the children were minors. In extreme cases, it may be possible for the government to take over a bank account to fulfill child support obligations.

Parents who are seeking back child support or a court order for child support may wish to talk to a family law attorney. An attorney may be able to help a parent recover money that the noncustodial parent owes or get a child support order. Once a support order has been granted, it typically must be adhered to until a judge terminates or modifies the order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.