• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Poor fathers still provide support for their children

California residents may often hear about fathers who fail to pay child support, as more mothers still raise children on their own than fathers. A study appearing in the Journal of Marriage suggests that "deadbeat dads" and fathers with a low income are not necessarily the same. It found that many poor fathers who do not live with their children still try to contribute to their children's lives even if they do not pay child support.

The study showed that some fathers who had limited funds still tried to offer something like clothing, school expenses, food or baby products. Nearly half of the fathers who were cash poor provided an average of $60 a month. While not all fathers tried to make contributions to their children, a representative of the study commented that those fathers who were the most disadvantaged seemed to be the ones who cared a lot about their kids and tried to provide what they could.

Looking at 367 men with low income, 23 percent gave child support through the system. More than 2 percent of these dads gave cash to the mother while 46 percent gave in-kind support. More than 60 noncustodial fathers offered no cash support for their children but did provide an average of $63 a month per child through in-kind support that does not show up in statistics.

The child support process is often confusing and misunderstood, so a parent may wish to consult an attorney when dealing with it during divorce proceedings. Courts will look at the particular state's guidelines when calculating the amount, but an attorney for a parent who will be ordered to pay support may be able to demonstrate to a judge why a deviation would be in order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.