• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Child support changes may be in store for Tom Cruise

As California movie fans, who follow celebrity divorce may know, Katie Holmes is seeking higher child support from her ex-spouse, Tom Cruise. The celebrities, who share a daughter, have moved on with their careers and their personal lives.

According to sources, Holmes is about to ask the court for an increase in child support payments. Cruise currently pays $400,000 per year to help raise his daughter. Holmes claims that as their daughter grows she will need more money to care for her properly. She also maintains that her ex-husband has not visited his daughter for two years.

Cruise lives in London most of the year while Holmes and his daughter live in New York and Los Angeles. Cruise said that work keeps him busy and unable to see his daughter. Holmes reportedly takes on as many projects as possible, but her income does not match the opulent lifestyle she experienced when she was married to Cruise.

Child support modification is a remedy when support payments are insufficient. Sometimes, a parent will find that additional funds are needed as a child grows. Many times, the ability of a parent to pay more in child support changes when the parent's income increases. In such cases, the custodial parent may petition the court to increase the child support payments to reflect the change in income. The court may ask the supporting parent to provide proof of income to validate the claim.

In some cases a modification is necessary when the parent who has previously been ordered to make payments becomes unable to do so as a result of an unforeseen financial hardship. In such an event, it is important for the parent seeking such a modification to understand that even if granted, it will be prospective only and will not affect any amounts that are in arrears.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.