• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Divorce and retirement accounts in California

When an individual gets divorced in California, all of the property he or she accumulated during the marriage is considered to be the marital property of the couple. This means that, no matter who contributed to a retirement account during the marriage, the funds that accumulated in the account will be subject to division between both spouses.

Once a retirement account is ordered to be divided in the divorce, early withdrawal penalties are not supposed to be assessed for the withdrawal of that portion. It is up to the spouse receiving the funds to file the appropriate forms with the plan administrators for each account held. If the spouse fails to do so, he or she may be taxed while the other spouse is assessed an early withdrawal penalty.

Employer-sponsored plans, 401(k) accounts and pensions all require that a Qualified Domestic Relations Order is filed with the plan administrator. This form tells the administrator the exact portion that should be given to the recipient spouse and how to divide the funds. Spouses may then choose to take the money as a lump sum, roll it into their own retirement account or leave it in the spouse's account. Individual retirement accounts require a different form called the transfer incident form to accomplish the same goal.

Property division in a high-asset divorce can be extremely complicated. Determining the marital portions of accounts held before the marriage but continued afterward can be tricky. Other issues can include locating hidden assets and accounts that one spouse may be trying to hide. Individuals may want to seek the help of a family law attorney for help with determining the value of their marital estate so they can make sure they receive their fair share.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.