• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Covering college expenses after a divorce

College savings accounts are generally created with the intention of helping to pay for higher education expenses. In some divorces, a former spouse could have a child with another person or start a relationship with someone who has children already, which means the money could be used to help someone other than their own child. However, there are ways that California residents may make sure these funds are used for their intended purpose.

For instance, it's possible to include the college savings account in the separation agreement. This may ensure that the money is used only for a specific child or in specific ways to care for that child. In some cases, money in a college savings account may be used to pay rent or to cover a financial shortfall without having to rely on retirement or other funds.

In the event that the owner of a 529 account were to pass away, the new owner could change the beneficiary of that account. Therefore, it is a good idea to name a successor owner as the asset may otherwise be transferred to another party via probate if no successor owner is listed. Furthermore, it may be a good idea to be listed as a joint account owner or an interested party to the fund as it may entitle an individual to regular account statements.

An attorney may be helpful to those who are going through a divorce or separation. It may be possible for he or she to help with property division issues such as what may happen to a college savings account. Legal counsel may help draft a separation agreement that addresses how such funds can be used or says that the beneficiary cannot be changed for any reason.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.