• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Jodie Sweetin in child support dispute with ex-husband

People in California who follow the career of actress Jodie Sweetin may be aware of her 2016 divorce from her third husband. Now that former husband is asking for child support payments from Sweetin, although at the time of the divorce, neither was asked to pay support. They share physical and legal custody of their 6-year-old daughter.

When their divorce was finalized, Sweetin said she made $4,000 a month. She was ordered to pay her ex-husband $10,000, and the two split their income from the marriage. The ex-husband says Sweetin's income has gone up to at least $600,000 annually from various TV shows and residuals, her jewelry business and other ventures. Sweetin recently announced her engagement to her boyfriend.

Sweetin's ex is asking for money to cover his legal fees and for a forensic accountant in addition to child support. He says his income is about $2,000 per month.

Parents may be able to negotiate child custody during a divorce proceeding with the assistance of their respective attorneys. While there is also the option to turn to litigation, where a judge will attempt to make a decision that is best for the child, parents may be happier with a solution that they reach together. They might opt for joint physical custody or to have the child live primarily with one of them. If the latter is the case, the noncustodial parent may have to pay child support to the custodial parent. Even though they might not share physical custody, parents can agree to share legal custody. This would mean that each parent would have equal input into important aspects of the child's life including health care, education and religious instruction. Parents might also want to consider how they might handle future situations such as children deciding they want to live with the other parent.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.