• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Obama's child support rule remains in place

While California permits incarcerated parents to have their child support obligations modified, several other states do not. On Jan. 19, Barack Obama signed a law requiring all states to allow parents to apply for a modification of support. Those states had considered incarceration to count as voluntary unemployment. The Trump administration has not made a move to change the law although it is uncertain what will become of it since a health and human services secretary has not yet been appointed.

The concern with blocking incarcerated parents from asking for a modification in child support is that federal inmates often have little to no income in prison. As a result, they would fall behind on their support payments. When inmates were released, they would be unable to catch up on those payments. They would then be returned to prison, and this would result in a cycle of incarceration.

In 2006, a federal study found that in nine states, people who were behind on their child support earned $10,000 per year or less. The Urban Institute reported that the average child support payment would represent about 83 percent of the income of this group of people. The rule was supported by the National Child Support Enforcement Association.

Child support is decided using a formula. While it is usually paid by the noncustodial parent to the custodial parent, it should not be confused with visitation and custody. In other words, a parent has a number of legal avenues they can turn to for child support enforcement, but keeping the child from seeing the parent who owes support is not one of them. In fact, a court generally takes the attitude that in the absence of abuse or other serious problems, children are better off spending time with both parents.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.