• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Child support after getting married again

It is possible that parents living in California will get remarried at some point after a divorce. If an individual who remarries has children from a previous marriage, it may or may not have an impact on his or her child support payments. In most cases, the biological parents are responsible for caring for a child. This means that a court is unlikely to reduce or terminate support in the event of a remarriage.

While a new spouse may want to adopt his or her stepchildren, this is unlikely unless the noncustodial parent has lost his or her parental rights. While custodial parents may wish to terminate support after getting remarried, it may not be a good idea in all cases. Instead of using the money for daily expenses, support payments could go into an account earmarked for that child's future education expenses.

Noncustodial parents are advised to keep good records relating to child support payments that they have made. If there is reason to believe that payments have not been made, a noncustodial parent could be held liable for back payments plus interest. Courts may choose to garnish wages for nonpayment as well as withhold a person's passport or tax refund until the balance is paid in full.

The law generally considers child support payments to be a method of preserving the best interests of the child after a divorce. Furthermore, the law generally holds to be true that a child's biological parents are the ones responsible for providing financial and other support. This means that any previous support order may still be in effect even after a custodial parent gets remarried. Failure to make payments may result in penalties up to and including jail time in addition to paying back support.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.