• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Dean McDermott in child support trouble

Following a tense child support hearing in a California court on March 10, Dean McDermott, Tori Spelling's husband, was held in contempt of court for failing to pay his previous wife thousands in child support that she was owed. The judge reportedly gave him until March 13 to work out a deal. If a deal is not made, he could be sent to jail.

As part of the deal, McDermott was supposed to pay his ex-wife half of the amount that he owed her. The ex-wife withdrew the complaint so that he would not be immediately sent to jail, though it was expected that she would refile the complaint as early as March 14 if he did not pay up.

McDermott reportedly stopped paying his ex-wife child support for his 18-year-old son after he claimed that he had fallen on hard times. He has faced eight counts of contempt since he stopped the payments in October. All of the charges had been dismissed until this one.

If a non-custodial parent has a sudden change in their financial circumstances, they are still required to pay the amount of child support that they were ordered to. However, a family law attorney may take evidence of the parent's change in financial circumstances to the court. The attorney could file a child support modification request. If the judge agrees that the child support needs to change to prevent the non-custodial parent from going into poverty, a new child support order could be drawn up. If the non-custodial parent simply stops making payments, the custodial parent can ask the court to enforce the order, which could be through a wage garnishment.

Source: FOX News, "Dean McDermott may face jail time if he doesn't pay child support", March 10, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.