• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Determining child custody after a parent dies

When a parent dies in California , there may be some question as to who gets custody of his or her children. In some cases, a noncustodial parent may be granted custody if paternity has been established. Paternity can be established by a biological father putting his name on a child's birth certificate. Alternatively, a father may sign an acknowledgment of paternity form and file it with the court.

If it is not clear if paternity has been established, another family member such as a grandparent or an aunt may be able to obtain custody of the child. If this is not possible, a family friend or another trusted individual may be granted custody. In the event that no one is willing or able to care for a child after a parent dies, the state may have to intervene.

Therefore, family members or others who wish to maintain visitation with the child may be better served by asking to become the child's guardian. This may prevent the child from entering the foster care system. It is important to note that concerned relatives may have little to no say as to where the child is placed. Concerned relatives may also wish to adopt a child after he or she is placed into foster care.

When determining who gets custody of a minor, a judge will have to determine what is in the best interest of the child. Those who want to pursue custody may wish to talk with an attorney. This may also be a good idea for those looking to adopt a family member from foster care. Legal counsel may be able to help an individual take steps to establish that he or she is the best person to provide for a child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.