• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Child support payments by disabled parents in California

When a parent paying child support becomes disabled, the parent getting the child support will likely see a reduction in payments. This is because the amount of child support that a person is obligated to pay depends on the amount of money that they are making. In many cases, someone who suffers a disability will not be able to work as much or at all. The reduction in payments will depend on the long-term nature of the injury.

In some cases, a person with a disability will receive a settlement or disability benefits. If that person hasn't been making regular child support payments and owes for back support, the state may garnish their benefits and use those funds to pay a custodial parent back child support.

The situation is similar if someone begins to receive Supplemental Security Income, which is a program to help lower income individuals who are disabled. While the government cannot garnish these benefits for taxes or debts, they can be garnished to pay back child support.

Even if child support was ordered by a judge, it is not set in stone. Either the parent paying or receiving may request a child support modification. Child support obligations may be increased or decreased depending on the way that either parents' circumstances change. If someone is interested in a child support modification, a lawyer could explain which circumstances would allow for a change and assist someone in building a case to request the modification. Adequate support payments are generally seen to be in the best interests of the children involved.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.