• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

How emancipation impacts child support

In many cases, a child in California or elsewhere is considered emancipated at age 18 or 21. However, there are instances in which a child may be declared emancipated at a younger age. Typically, a child is declared emancipated before reaching the age of majority because he or she got married, was in the military or because he or she left his or her parental home.

If a parent is under a court order to pay child support, that order may still be in effect after a child is emancipated. This may be true in the event that a child has special needs. It may also be true if a child who was married gets divorced and still needs care from a parent. It is important to note that child support orders do not automatically terminate. When a child reaches the age of majority or is emancipated, a parent must ask for the order to be terminated.

When a judge makes a ruling relating to child support, he or she will generally do so only after considering the best interests of the child. If terminating support could harm the child, it is unlikely that this will be done. Therefore, even if a child has been emancipated, a parent may still be obligated to continue making payments. Parents who currently pay child support may wish to talk to an attorney about their options.

An attorney may be able to make the case that a child no longer needs support because of age or economic independence. It may also be possible to ask that a child support order be modified because of a parent's financial hardship. If a parent has lost a job or accrued large medical expenses, support amounts may be reduced temporarily or permanently.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.