• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Obtaining retroactive child support in California

When a couple with children splits up, the noncustodial parent will often be required to pay child support. If that person neglects their payment responsibilities, the custodial parent can put in a request for back child support, which is sometimes called retroactive child support.

Retroactive child support is supposed to compensate a parent for expenses that they may have had to cover on their own since the other parent was not providing support. To obtain this compensation, the custodial parent will need to provide a list of expenses related to raising a child. They will also need to show that they attempted to collect support from the child's other parent.

Back child support is not always granted. If the other noncustodial parent can show that they did provide some kind of support, such as paying for medical bills or buying clothing, they may only be obligated to start paying child support going forward. Further, if a parent can demonstrate that they will not be able to afford to pay retroactive child support, they may not be ordered to do so.

There are several methods available for setting up child support. When a couple with children divorces, child support will normally be arranged at that time. It can either be set by the parents coming to an agreement during a collaborative divorce or by a judge during a litigated divorce. In situations where a couple was never married, individuals may need to go through a state agency to obtain support. A lawyer could assist a parent through this process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.