• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Dealing with child custody when the parent is in jail

When a California custodial parent is heading to jail, dealing with temporary or permanent child custody changes can be stressful. However, there is a process in place for figuring out where the children will go if the custodial parent can suddenly no longer care for them.

The courts make child custody decisions based on what is in the best interests of the child. When the court first determines who the child's primary caregiver will be, a number of factors are taken into consideration. This includes considering the parent's ability to financially and physically care for the child, whether or not the parent and the child have an emotional bond and if the parent is willing to support the child's relationship with the other parent. The parent's job and other habits, such as excessive drinking, may also be considered.

If the custodial parent goes to jail. child protective services may immediately look to place the child with the noncustodial parent or another family member. However, the court will still need to determine what decision will be in the best interest of the child.

When a custodial parent suddenly becomes unable to provide care for their child, the noncustodial parent or family member does not obtain child custody by default. A custodial parent who has been taken into custody should work with a family law attorney to help ensure that their child is taken care of properly while the parent is serving their sentence. For example, if the noncustodial parent has a history of abuse and the custodial parent does not believe that they can care for the child properly, the attorney may assist with representing a family member or close family friend who can watch the child temporarily or even permanently.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.