Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Seeking a modification to a child support order

In California, the amount of child support a parent will pay is determined based on a set of state guidelines. These guidelines take a number of factors into account, including both parents' incomes and other financial responsibilities. If the parent responsible for paying child support has a sudden reduction in his or her income, it can become difficult to pay the child support payments.

To reduce the financial stress on the parent, he or she can ask the court to modify the child support order. Although all the parent has to do to get the process started is to file the modification at the court that finalized the agreement, the parent must be able to prove that the change in his or her financial status is significant. For example, being laid off or suffering a debilitating injury may be enough to be granted a modification.

If the change in circumstances is temporary and the parents are on amicable terms, they may be able to come to an agreement outside of court. If parents do not want to litigate a child support modification but are having trouble reaching an agreement on their own, there are a couple formal methods that can be utilized, such as mediation.

When parents split up or divorce, the parent who becomes the primary caregiver of the child is usually awarded a certain amount in child support each month. This money can be used to provide for the child and can go towards housing costs, food, clothing and other basic necessities, such as healthcare and education. However, a parent should not go into debt when trying to make his or her child support payments. A family law attorney can help a parent document a change in the parent's financial circumstances and represent the parent when seeking a modification to the child support order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.