Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Modifying a child support order may make it affordable

A parent who lives separately from his or her children may be ordered to pay child support. The money they pay could be used to cover their children's basic needs, extracurricular activities or anything else. Because this monthly payment is court-ordered, noncustodial parents are required to pay the full amount whether they can afford it or not. There is something California parents can do if they don't have enough money to pay child support.

Child support is based on a formula that takes both parents' income and expenses, as well as the amount of time each parent spends with the children, into account. Because the order is based on the parents' circumstances on the day it's made, there may come a time when a parent is not able to afford the entire payment. If that happens, instead of skipping a payment, a noncustodial parent should request a modification from the court that issued the order.

A modification may only be granted in certain cases. For example, if a parent's income changes significantly, they have a lot of new medical expenses or they've lost their only source of income, the court might agree to reduce the amount of support they have to pay. Since there are penalties associated with not paying child support, it's important for parents to file for a modification as soon as they know they won't be able to pay.

An attorney with family court experience may be able to help a parent file the appropriate motions to adjust their child support order. Rather than making an informal agreement with the other parent to pay less child support temporarily, parents whose circumstances have changed since the initial order was set should consult with an attorney to discuss their options for getting their child support permanently reduced.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.