Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

When child support payer faces disability

Most California parents who are ordered to pay child support do what they can to make those payments on time for the sake of their children. However, there are instances when a parent may suddenly become disabled, preventing him or her from working and earning a regular income. While the noncustodial parent's obligation for providing child support will not suddenly cease, he or she may not be able to provide reliable child support.

There are several things that a custodial parent should consider if the noncustodial parent becomes disabled. First, it's important to determine if the noncustodial parent has disability insurance benefits. If the parent is covered, he or she should be expected to continue to pay child support. If there is no coverage, the disabled parent may seek a modification of the child support order so that the payments reflect his or her new income level.

Second, it should be determined if the noncustodial parent's disability is temporary or permanent. If it is temporary, any modification made to the child support order should also be temporary. If the disability is permanent, the court may make long-term modifications to the payment obligations.

A disability can make it much more difficult for a noncustodial parent to make ends meet. However, failure to pay child support can result in serious consequences, ranging from having a license revoked, wages garnishment or even jail time. A family law attorney may help a disabled parent seek a child support modification order. Such a request allows a judge to review a financial situation and order updated child support payments that reflect the parent's change in circumstances.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.