Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Establishing paternity in order to obtain rights to a child

California residents may be interested to learn that 40 percent of all children born in the United States are born to unmarried parents. While there are many unmarried fathers who do whatever they can to remain in their child's life, there are a number of children who will grow up without the influence from their fathers. In some cases, this can be due to the fact that many unmarried fathers remain unaware of their rights.

When a child is born to a married couple, it is presumed that the husband is the child's father. If the parents are unmarried, there is no presumption that a particular person is the child's father. As such, this means that the person does not have a right to visitation or custody. The person also does not have the ability to make any decisions when it comes to the child. In order to have legal rights to the child, the person will need to establish paternity.

The easiest way to establish paternity is to ensure that the father's name is put on the birth certificate when the child is born. This can be done if the father is with the mother at the hospital or, if the father cannot be there for the birth of the child, a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity can be signed.

In some cases, going through the process of establishing paternity can be difficult, especially if the child's mother is not willing to work with the alleged father to establish paternity. If a person believes that he is the father of a child, a family law attorney may assist with obtaining a paternity order with the court during the child custody dispute. If it is found that the person is the father of the child, the attorney may assist with establishing visitation rights.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.