Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Filing For Custody With No Father Present

For parents in Placer, California, child custody can pose an issue if there is not a father listed on the birth certificate. Close to 40 percent of children are born to mothers who are not married or in a relationship with the child's father, but most legal systems assume that the parents are married. This makes it difficult with issues like child custody.

There are some states where the mother has initial custody. However, the mother has to file for sole custody, which could mean that the father has the option to file as well if the father wants to be a part of the child's life at some point. There are other states that automatically provide sole custody to the mother when there is not a father listed on the birth certificate. A judge can order changes in the future if the father decides to file for custody or if the father wants visitation with the child.

Sometimes, the mother might not list the father on the birth certificate because there is a question as to who the father is or there is a concern about the child's safety. Some states will look at the living situation of the mother and the father before deciding whether the mother has sole custody of the child. Even if the father's name isn't listed, he still has rights until a judge orders otherwise if he pursues them.

If a mother decides to exclude the father, then she could consult with a family law attorney who can offer assistance regarding the information that is needed for sole child custody. The attorney might also offer assistance if the father decides to file a claim against the mother as there are laws associated with unwed mothers. An attorney may be able to investigate the laws of the state to determine whether the mother has to officially file for custody or not.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.