Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Handling custody orders in a different state

parents may choose to live as far apart as possible after their marriages end. For instance, one person could live in California while the other lives in New York. However, parents are still allowed to see their children regardless of where they live. Generally speaking, a custody agreement is enforceable even if the custodial parent moves to another state. This is because of the Full Faith and Credit Clause and the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act.

When parents live in different states, it is necessary to determine which is the child's home state. The home state is the one in which a custody ruling and future custody decisions will usually be made. A state is the home state if it is the one where the child has lived with a parent for the last six months. It may also where a child would have lived if a parent hadn't moved him or her.

A parent who removes a child for an inappropriate reason could lose custody. A home state could also be where a minor has friends or close family ties or where he or she is staying for safety reasons. In the event that multiple states could have jurisdiction, the state that rules first is the home state.

In a custody matter, the best interests of the child will typically trump the needs of the parents. Therefore, a custodial parent may need to allow the noncustodial parent to have visitation if a court orders it. Visitation may include talking on the phone with a son or daughter or other forms of virtual visitation. An attorney may help a parent who is looking to pursue additional rights or obtain custody of his or her child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.