Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

How child support delinquencies affect home loans

Some California non-custodial parents might wonder whether they can get approved for a home loan if they have fallen behind in child support. While this depends on several factors, including the type of loan, it is possible in some circumstances. The first step for people should be to check their credit report since it may not even be on there.

A Fannie Mae mortgage looks only at debt-to-income ratio, down payment and credit score. Although there are several so-called "derogatory events" that can affect a person's eligibility, being in arrears on child support is not one. People who owe child support may be unable get government-backed loans, which includes USDA, FHA and VA loans. Getting these loans in spite of being behind on child support depends upon whether state child support enforcement has placed the parent in a federal administrative offset program. This may happen if the parent is more than 30 days past due on an amount of $25 or more, but the parent will be notified when this happens.

CAIVRS is another program that tracks child support and other debt. By creating a written agreement with the court or custodial parent to pay the amount back, it may be possible to be removed from CAIVRS. Parents may also want to look into other ways to clear the debt.

In general, the legal system takes the position that a biological parent is financially responsible for a child. A parent can ask the court for a modification in child support if there is a valid reason the parent can no longer pay the agreed-upon amount, such as unemployment. However, the parent should not delay in asking for this since modifications are generally not retroactive.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.