Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Requesting a child support modification

California parents who are owed child support payments should be aware of how and when they can ask for a modification. Under some circumstances, child support can indeed be modified. These circumstances include a change in the non-custodial parent's income and a change in the child's need, such as education or medical expenses. Requests can be filed through the Child Support Enforcement Office in the state where the original order was granted.

However, some states have placed limits on how often a parent can request a child support modification. They may only review requests every 24 months, for example, which can pose a problem for parents whose financial situations have frequent fluctuations. In states that limit requests, the courts will not be willing to make exceptions even if there is a significant reason to request a modification.

A custodial parent should only request a child support modification if there has been a significant change in the child's financial needs or an ex-spouse is making significantly more money than he or she was before the child support order. This is especially true in states that limit modification requests. For example, a custodial parent could request a modification for a small amount only to lose the ability to request a modification when the child's needs suddenly change. In some cases, if the courts do not believe the modification request is substantial, they will outright deny the request. Courts will also investigate the custodial parent's income to see if he or she needs the modification in the first place.

A parent who is concerned about whether he or she should request a child support modification might consider working with an attorney experienced in family law. An attorney may be able to help a parent determine if the courts will grant such a request.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.