Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Appealing child custody rulings

California parents who are going through a divorce and who are unsatisfied with the child custody ruling have legal options. They generally have the right to file an appeal if they disagree with the order, but there are certain exceptions.

Generally, a child custody order can be appealed if it is final and complete, or has been concluded by the court. This typically occurs when the child custody case has been heard on its merits, the parties involved have attended court and there are no more scheduled court hearings. The custody order is considered complete if there are no unresolved custody issues that have to be addressed by the two parties.

There are some forms of child custody orders that cannot be appealed. Interlocutory orders, or non-final or temporary orders, pertaining to certain child-related issues usually cannot be appealed. In these cases, parents who are unhappy with the order will be required to wait until a final child custody ruling has been issued by the court.

It is advisable for parents who are seeking to appeal a child custody order to use the assistance of an attorney. The attorney can create a brief that summarizes why a parent is requesting an appeal and that highlights discrepancies in the original ruling. After the brief is filed, it and the hearing transcripts will be reviewed by the court. The court will then either uphold the original ruling or overturn it.

An attorney who practices family law may work to assist parents appeal child custody rulings. The attorney may evaluate the factors of the case, examine the original ruling, and advise parents of their options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.