Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Changing or challenging a child support obligation

People in California who are dealing with serious financial issues or conflict with former partners over the children may wonder how to change or end their obligation to pay child support. Most of the time, when people want to cease paying child support, there are other actions that can help them achieve their underlying goals, especially when the issue is a conflict over visitation or parenting choices made by a former spouse.

However, in some cases, people are desperate because their financial situations have changed. Child support orders are issued based on a person's income. Disability or the loss of a high-paying job may mean that parents are no longer able to meet their monthly child support obligations and facing mounting debts. However, when people simply stop paying, they could face even more severe consequences. Instead, parents who are unable to pay their support obligations can go back to family court for a child support modification to reflect their changed financial circumstances.

In some situations, individuals may want to withhold child support if their former partners refuse to allow them to access their visitation or custody time with the children, or it seems like the money is being squandered on alcohol or drugs. In these cases, it is also better to go to family court for help. Visitation and child support are not linked, so parents are still responsible for paying even if their visits are denied. However, the court can step in to stop the interference with the parent-child relationship.

Child support is a serious obligation, but some parents may face unique circumstances that reflect changes in their lives from the time of the divorce or support order. A family law attorney can work with a parent to seek a child support modification or a change to the custody order.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.