Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

How to resolve child support issues

Parents in California and throughout the nation who struggle to keep up with child support payments aren't necessarily deadbeats. Instead, they are having legitimate issues providing for their children financially because of factors that may be outside of their control. For instance, a parent could have other children to support simultaneously or lose a job unexpectedly. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, only 45.3 percent of parents receive all the support that they are owed.

A child support order could be modified if a parent's circumstances change. Changes could include a loss of income or the fact that a child costs more to raise now than he or she did in the past. Unexpected medical expenses could also be a valid reason to ask for a support modification order. Parents should always have a judge formally change an order as opposed to agreeing to an informal deal as that may be difficult to enforce.

The best interests of the child are almost always the most important factor when determining a child support order. It is also the reason why most jurisdictions will issue harsh penalties for failure to make payments as ordered. When parents don't provide for their children, it can result in the government having to do so instead. However, even if government benefits are available, it may still be harder to provide for a child in this manner.

Therefore, both parents are generally expected to provide for their children until they reach the age of majority. Parents who cannot afford their current child support payments may want to consult with an attorney as quickly as possible. This may help them learn more about how to get a support order modified and how to make arrangements to pay any support that is currently in arrears.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.