Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Can Sacramento Parents Delegate Child-Watching Responsibilities to Significant Others?

A common source of strife between Sacramento divorcees and former partners is when one partner allows their new significant other to care for the child.  Many a custody case has been litigated over this issue.  Sometimes the underlying issue is the ex-spouse’s jealousy over the new significant other, and other times it is legitimate concern for the child’s well-being.

Regardless, it is important that in any Sacramento child custody case that each parent spend as much actual time with their child as possible under the court order.  Any parent that consistently leaves the child in the care of a significant other, family member, or friend, will run the risk of losing parenting time in a Sacramento child custody battle.  On the other hand, occasional usage of another person to care for the child should not affect a custody arrangement.

One way courts resolve disputes like this is to implement a right of first refusal.  The way it works is when a parent has parenting time, but is unable to exercise direct responsibility for the child, and this period of absence exceeds a set number of hours, that parent must first call the other parent and offer them the chance to take custody of the child.  If that parent is unable to accept custody, then the asking parent can seek help from a significant other or family member.  The problem with this solution is that manipulative parents will abuse the provision.  Also, if one parent is consistently placing the children in the other parent’s care, that parent may end up filing a motion to modify custody to reflect all the extra time they are taking with the child.

If you are involved in a Sacramento County child custody case, and you believe you need to investigate obtaining a right of first refusal, please give us a call.  We can meet with you and discuss the Sacramento County child custody process in a free half-hour attorney consultation.

Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.