Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Can an existing child support order be modified?

Once a court has entered an order of child support in California, it typically remains in effect until the child reaches 18 years of age and graduates high school or reaches 19 years of age. In the meantime, parents who wish to modify the terms of the support order must usually demonstrate to the court that a change in circumstances has occurred.

Changes in circumstances that may warrant a modification of the child support order include, but are not limited to, a parent's incarceration, loss of income or increase in income. If the needs of the child have changed, with regard to health care or education, for example, or if the amount of time each parent spends with the child has changed significantly, these may also warrant a modification of the support order.

If the amount of support ordered by the court was less than that suggested by the California guidelines, a parent may ask for a modification at any time, even if there has not been a change in circumstances. Additionally, the parents may agree between themselves to a modification of support. Upon the judge's approval, the agreement takes effect. Note that a modification does not take effect until it is approved and an order is entered by the court. Until that time, the parents continue to be bound by the previous order, regardless of any verbal or other agreements.

In a case where the parents are unable to come to agreement, the parent seeking the child support modification must file a motion with the court. A family law attorney may be able to help a parent seek modification by evaluating the facts to determine whether a qualifying change in circumstances has occurred or by attempting to facilitate agreement with the other parent.

Source: California Courts, "Changing a Child Support Order," Judicial Council of California, Sept. 29, 2014

Source: California Courts, "Child Support", September 29, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.