• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Changed circumstances in spousal support modifications

Under a number of different circumstances, judges in California will modify or end spousal support orders, but ex-spouses need to go through an extensive legal process to ensure that the changes become official through the court system. Even if ex-spouses can agree on a modified amount of alimony, they will still want to have legal papers drawn up and have a judge sign them instead of just relying on an oral or informal written agreement.

A judge might decide to change a spousal support order because an ex-spouse's income has changed or because the individual is in jail. Additionally, if the person receiving spousal support gets married or is not making an effort to become self-supporting, this could justify a modification of the original order.

Someone who desires a change in their spousal support order needs to fill out paperwork and go before a judge immediately after they experience a change in circumstances, such as losing their job. Waiting until months after means that judges only consider their changed situation on the date of the filed paperwork, not the date that an ex-spouse was incarcerated or had a change in their financial situation. Exes who come to an agreement can develop a written agreement, but they still need a judge to sign the order to make it official.

To change or end a spousal support order in California, ex-spouses must fill out a number of forms, including a Request for Order and an Income and Expense Declaration. After filling out the necessary forms, individuals might want to have the documents looked over by an family law attorney, file the paperwork with a court clerk, have papers served to their former spouse, obtain a court date and attend the court hearing.

Source: Judicial Council of California, "Changing (or Ending) a Spousal/Partner Support Order," Accessed Jan. 23, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.