Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

How to end child support payments in California

Although their are several reasons why child support payments may terminate, they do not do so automatically. Therefore, an individual will need to contact a state child support agency representative to start the process of ending support. Support generally ends when a child turns 18. However, it may be necessary to provide additional support past that age for children who are in college or who have special needs.

It may be possible to have child support payments terminate before a child turns 18 or otherwise reaches the age of majority. For instance, if a child joins the military, gets married or is economically independent, it may be possible to ask to stop paying child support. At any time, it may be possible to modify child support payments due to a change in income or other circumstances that would justify changing a child support order.

If a parent does not ask for child support to be terminated, that parent is obligated to continue providing support. Therefore, it may be worthwhile for anyone with an older child to consult with an attorney to determine when child support obligations may come to an end. In most cases, a judge is not able to retroactively terminate support payments that have already come due.

Child support payments are designed to help protect the best interests of the child. However, when the child is old enough to support him or herself, those payments may no longer be necessary. Therefore, anyone who is obligated to pay child support may wish to consult with an attorney to ensure that support ends in accordance with state laws. Otherwise, a parent may have to pay more than he or she needs to in an effort to provide for his or her child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.