• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Child support modifications and jurisdictional changes

When parents separate or divorce in California, that state will have jurisdiction when issuing a child support order . If at least one party continues to reside in the state, California continues to have jurisdiction in the case. However, a parent may not be aware of this if they move. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act provides the guidance needed to determine when a new order may be issued in a different state.

Because modification needs occur frequently, the UIFSA was designed to provide a standard regarding how such changes would be handled. Once jurisdiction is determined, the obligor may seek a modification in that state. It would be inappropriate to seek a modification in a different state, but there may be cases in which a second order could be issued related to child support obligations. For example, a support order might exist in the child's state of residence based on the obligor's presence in that state at the time of a separation. If that party later filed for divorce from a different state, support might be ordered in the divorce decree. The UIFSA would be used to identify the order that would take precedence.

There may be cases in which none of the parties continue to reside in a state where an initial child support order was issued. If an order was not issued in a child's current state of residence, then the UIFSA defers to the most recent order. Because these issues can become complicated for those who have moved frequently, it may be important to obtain legal advice about modifications.

A parent who is unable to keep up with child support payments may want to move quickly to obtain a modification to avoid falling into arrears. It may be advisable to work with a lawyer in the jurisdictional state to ensure that the modification is handled expeditiously.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.