• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Grandparent visitation and custody

California grandparents may petition the court for visitation rights to their grandchildren in some situations. Though these rights are not as common in family law cases as parental visitation rights, they have been recognized in every state for several decades. Grandparents may also pursue child custody in some cases, usually after both parents have died.

Grandparents may choose to pursue visitation rights if they have been denied visitation by their grandchild's parents or if their grandchild has been adopted. The goal of a grandparent visitation order is to preserve a healthy relationship between a child and their grandparent, so the court will evaluate that relationship before making a decision. Grandparents who are seeking visitation rights must show the court that such visitation is in the best interest of the child and a denial of it would harm the child.

If both of a child's parents are deceased, the child's grandparents may be awarded child custody if the child has a strong relationship with their grandparents. In cases where a child has at least one living parent, it is rare for a grandparent to be awarded child custody. However, grandparents may petition the court for child custody if they can prove that their grandchild's parents are unfit.

Grandparents who are not being allowed to visit their grandchild may want to speak to a family law attorney about their options. They may need to file a motion with the court that has jurisdiction over child custody matters in order to obtain a resolution.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.