• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

February 2017 Archives

The link between child support and parental involvement

A new study found that fathers in California and throughout the country who are behind on child support tend to spend less time with their children. The study was published in the February edition of "Journal of Marriage and Family." It found that 30 percent of fathers owed on average $7,705 in back support. In addition to being less involved with their children, delinquent fathers have lower levels of education and work less than those who are not behind on payments.

Child support and father participation

California parents may be interested to know that the results of a study indicate that fathers who do not reside with their children and who owe back child support tend to spend less time with their children. They are also more likely to have children with multiple partners and work fewer weeks in a year. Children depend on child support payments for food, housing and clothes. Research has shown that child support tends to be common factor in children who demonstrate high academic achievement.

Dealing with the family business during a divorce

Although it is not rare for a California couple to get a divorce, it can be a difficult process to divide up all marital property especially if one of the former spouses started a business. Ultimately, how a person protects the family business will depend whether it was started prior to the marriage or afterwards.

Child support orders may be enforceable after child grows up

Custodial parents in California and elsewhere across the nation may question whether the collection of missing child support payments is possible after the child reaches the age of 18. The enforcement of child support orders is a matter that neither states nor the federal government views lightly, and in many cases, payments that were due before the child attained the age of majority may remain enforceable until the debt has been satisfied in full.

Obama's child support rule remains in place

While California permits incarcerated parents to have their child support obligations modified, several other states do not. On Jan. 19, Barack Obama signed a law requiring all states to allow parents to apply for a modification of support. Those states had considered incarceration to count as voluntary unemployment. The Trump administration has not made a move to change the law although it is uncertain what will become of it since a health and human services secretary has not yet been appointed.

Judge orders Robin Thicke to stay away from ex-wife and son

On Jan. 26, a judge in California revoked the child custody rights of singer Robin Thicke. Since the beginning of the year, Thicke has been feuding with his ex-wife Paula Patton over custody of their 6-year-old son. When Thicke appeared in court to request temporary sole custody, he lost custody rights and was ordered to stay away from his son.

Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.