• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Child support orders may be enforceable after child grows up

Custodial parents in California and elsewhere across the nation may question whether the collection of missing child support payments is possible after the child reaches the age of 18. The enforcement of child support orders is a matter that neither states nor the federal government views lightly, and in many cases, payments that were due before the child attained the age of majority may remain enforceable until the debt has been satisfied in full.

Child support is a financial obligation. When child support payments are missed, the amount owed may accumulate and remain in force regardless of the advancing age of the child. Enforcement measures that are available to officials, including the garnishment of wages and the seizure of tax returns, may be allowable after the child turns 18. In addition, noncustodial parents are not able to turn to bankruptcy in order to discharge their child support obligations in most states.

There may be some exceptions to the rule, however. Parents who are seeking to collect back child support may want to be aware that some states may dismiss the child support obligation in the event that the child has been emancipated. Some courts may modify the obligation when it is found that the child no longer requires the support of the custodial parent.

In some cases, a statute of limitations may apply, however. Accordingly, parents who want to pursue the collection of back child support may want to speak with an attorney regarding the most advantageous course of action in light of their own unique set of circumstances.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.