• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

The importance of getting advice on QDROs in California

When a couple divorces and has to divide retirement assets, a Qualified Domestic Relations Order may be necessary. A QDRO outlines how much money will need to be provided from one spouse's retirement account to the ex, and it can also determine what those assets will go toward. For instance, assets from the account could be considered payments for alimony.

In general, people are owed half of the increased value in a retirement account during the course of a marriage. If a retirement account started with $1,000 in it when a couple was married and is worth $20,000 when they divorce, an ex-spouse would be entitled to $9,500 from the account.

However, during asset division, one person may allow their spouse to keep 100 percent of the value of a retirement account in exchange for 100 percent of the value of another item. Someone may decide to keep a car or the contents of a couple's bank account instead of taking funds from the retirement account. It's important to have a financial analyst help with this decision to ensure that people are getting the assets that are most beneficial to them in the long and short term.

California is a community property state, so property division is based on dividing up a couple's assets in half. This also applies to debts that have been incurred over the course of a marriage. Any increase in assets or debts during a couple's marriage may be split up evenly when the marriage ends. Therefore, it's essential to understand what constitutes marital property and what does not. A lawyer could explain how this is determined.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.