• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Substance abuse may lead courts to alter custody arrangements

In California, the courts apply a best interest of the child standard when it comes to determining custody. The standard takes a number of distinct factors into account to consider a parent's general fitness. Even in cases where custody has already been decided, the court may alter a custody or visitation arrangement in some circumstances. If one of the parents begins to abuse drugs or alcohol, for example, the court may order changes such as requiring supervision during visitation.

When courts get involved, they are equipped to take action. In a case where substance abuse has a negative impact on the parent's ability to take care of the child or where the parent poses a risk to the well-being of the child, the judge will generally conduct an investigation.

The substance abuse history of the parent may be relevant in some cases. Judges may consider the parent's individual histories with drugs and alcohol before making a determination on child custody, for example. In a case where one parent is concerned about substance abuse on the part of the other, the law has procedures to address the issue.

The concerned parent might document relevant incidents and bring the issue up during family court proceedings. The court may find that DUI charges, police reports and other documentary evidence of substance abuse are relevant. In a situation where a parent is in fear for the safety of the child, the law provides for restraining orders and refusal of visitation in some circumstances. An attorney with experience in family law might be able to help by gathering evidence or preparing for child custody proceedings. The attorney could argue that the family court should address a parent's substance abuse.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.