• Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Siblings can also have custody concerns

When families in California are going through difficult circumstances, the role of a sibling can change dramatically. While many divorcing parents handle issues concerning child custody, in different situations, siblings can step in to provide guidance - and legal guardianship - to their younger brothers and sisters.

In many cases, siblings are quite close in age, and they generally share at least one parent. When siblings become involved in seeking child custody, there is usually an emotionally compelling reason. The parents of the child may be abusive or neglectful, or the child's parents may be dead. The situation itself will almost certainly have a strong emotional impact on the older sibling involved in seeking custody.

In some cases, the parents or legal guardians of the younger sibling may be willing to voluntarily relinquish custody to the older brother and sister, especially if they are willing to admit that they cannot provide adequate care for the child. In this case, their voluntary agreement to sibling guardianship can speed and ease the process significantly. Much like an amicable parenting plan can speed a divorce settlement, a custody agreement can make the legal process quite simple.

Just like divorcing parents can handle child custody issues in court, a sibling can also file for custody where the younger brother or sister lives. A sibling will need to demonstrate that the existing legal guardian is abusive or harmful to the child. In some cases, of course, there may be no named guardian; for example, when both parents have died. In these cases, the sibling would need to show their ability to become a suitable legal guardian.

A family lawyer can provide guidance and representation to a sibling seeking custody of their younger brother or sister. In addition to filing for custody in court, a family law attorney can help a sibling file for visitation or apply to become their younger brother or sister's legal foster parent, depending on the circumstances.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
850 Iron Point Road, Suite 113A
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.