Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Public aid a factor in child support

Most parents in California are dedicated to providing for their children. This is generally true whether they are parenting together with a spouse or in separate households. While it is not unusual for one parent to voluntarily pay child support to the other, there are cases in which a court will order child support even if the parent receiving the funds has not requested it.

In a recent case, a Fresno mother was ordered to pay child support to her ex-husband, with whom she shares custody of three children. However, her ex-husband did not request this child support, and most of the funds will not go to him. County officials went to court requesting that the mother begin paying child support because the father receives public assistance.

The funds over and above what the father is allowed to keep will be used to reimburse the state for the public assistance fund that he receives. In such situations, California law requires that child support funds be forfeited to the state. The mother of the children, who works as a police dispatcher, notes that the child support payments will become a strain on her finances, something that the court did take into consideration when it decided to lower the initial support order.

Many people in California find themselves in similar situations where they are confused about their obligations. This is particularly common if they share custody or live on a modest income. These individuals may benefit from speaking with a family law attorney. The lawyer might be able to review the client's case and make recommendations regarding child support obligations and the possibility of requesting a modification from the court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contra Costa County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848 
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941 
Fax: 916-780-0787

Follow Us On

Facebook Twitter

Our Office Directions

Rocklin Law Office Map Folsom Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.