Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Some facts about child support

In California child support cases, one of the early steps is to establish parentage. The non-custodial parent is responsible for making support payments to the person who is caring for the child. The person who receives support on behalf of the child may in various cases be the child's parent, legal custodian, guardian or the person the child lives with.

In cases where a person who has been ordered to pay support fails to make payments, his or her income may be withheld. The definition of income here includes personal earnings, unemployment compensation, annuities, pensions, retirement benefits, lottery prizes, insurance proceeds, sick pay, disability pay, allowances, workers' compensation benefits and any other type of income. There are government offices that have the power to garnish wages and withhold income of parents who fail to make child support payments.

The failure to pay child support may constitute contempt of court. Penalties for contempt may include fines, jail time or both. Federal law may apply in the cases of some non-paying parents, allowing for criminal charges punishable by up to six months in jail, fines and orders of mandatory restitution until back support is paid. Authorities may also be able to intercept state or federal tax refunds.

People who are owed back child support in California may want to speak with a lawyer. One who has experience in family law might be able to help by examining the facts of the situation and suggesting avenues to recover past due amounts that are needed for the child's expenses.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.