Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
  • Best Of the Best 2014 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Best Of the Best 2015 - By the Readers of The Placer Herald
  • Placer Herald | Best Of the Best 2016 - Rocklin
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2017 Best Of the Best
  • By the readers of the Placer Herald | 2018 Best Of the Best


ROCKLIN: 916-780-0848 FOLSOM: 916-365-4941 ROSEVILLE: 916-755-5977
Free ½ Hour Consultations

Main Navigation

Focused on reducing the emotional and financial toll to your family.

Offering divorce and family law options to fit
your needs, and focused on reducing the emotional
and financial toll to your family.

Understanding different types of child support cases

Divorced parents in California may be unaware of the varying types of child support cases that exist. The multiple types of cases can be confusing, especially as some individuals make direct payments to the custodial parent while others submit payments to the state in which the order was made. There are four main types of child support cases: IV-D, IV-A, IV-E and non-IV-D. These terms refer to Title IV of the 1975 Social Security Act, which addresses the grants made to states in order to provide aid and services to families with children in need.

IV-D cases refer to situations where a person receives assistance from the Office of Child Support Enforcement, including establishing paternity, finding the noncustodial parent or enforcing an order for child support. IV-A cases are those in which the custodial parent receives public assistance. Even though the noncustodial parent may be fully involved, the OCSE endeavors to recoup public assistance funds. In IV-E cases, a foster parent or relative is providing care for the children.

Most child support orders that stem from divorce are classified as non-IV-D cases. In these instances, the Office of Child Support Enforcement is not involved, and child support is handled privately between the parents. However, it is possible for this kind of child support case to become an IV-D case if the noncustodial parent fails to fulfill the child support order, and collection is sought for unpaid support.

Over time, family situations can change, and parents may face job losses or other economic crises. A family law attorney can work with a noncustodial parent to seek a child support modification if he or she is no longer able to meet the obligation. This can help a parent protect him or herself under the law while adjusting the order to reflect his or her changed realities.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
El Dorado Country | Bar Association Sacramento County | Bar Association The State Bar of California Placer County Bar Association Collaborative practice california IACP Certified Family Law Mediator
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
6542 Lonetree Boulevard
Rocklin, CA 95765

Phone: 916-780-0848
Fax: 916-780-0787
Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
2280 E. Bidwell Street, Suite 204
Folsom, CA 95630

Phone: 916-365-4941
Fax: 916-780-0787
office3 Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP
3017 Douglas Blvd, 
Third Floor, Suite 58
Roseville, CA 95661

Phone: 916-755-5977
Fax: 916-780-0787

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.