Can Parents in Placer County Assign Childcare Responsibilities to Significant Others?

by | Dec 4, 2013 | Firm News |

Parents in Placer County commonly argue over situations when their former spouse or partner allows their new significant other to care for the child.  So many Placer County custody actions are filed over situations like these.  Sometimes the underlying reason for the litigation is the ex-spouse’s jealousy over the new significant other forming a relationship with a child, or the ex-spouse’s anger at the other spouse for emotionally moving on with their life.  Other times there is legitimate concern for the child’s health, safety, and well-being.

Regardless of the motives, we always suggest that each parent should spend as much physical time with their children as is possible under the current Placer County custody order.  Any parent that consistently leaves their child in the a significant other’s care (or another family member or friend) will run the risk of the Placer County custody court awarding more parenting time to the other parent in the custody battle.  This is a complicated issue and though the Placer County custody court realizes that parents sometimes have to use childcare services of others, any custody changes truly depend upon which visitation arrangement is in the child’s best interest.

The Placer County custody court will sometimes resolve a dispute concerning usage of significant others for childcare by implementing a right of first refusal.  A right of first refusal requires the parent who is unable to exercise parenting time to offer the other parent the opportunity to watch the child before relying upon significant others to watch the child.  This is a good solution, but it is not perfect.  A manipulative or overly rigid parent will insist strict compliance with this provision and cause the other parent grief.  Also, if a parent requests this provision in their court order, they need to be mindful of their own personal scheduling so that the provision does not come back to haunt them.

If you are involved in a Placer County child custody case, and you believe you need to investigate obtaining a right of first refusal, please give us a call.  We can meet with you and discuss the Placer County child custody process in a free half-hour attorney consultation.

If you are interested in discussing the child or spousal support calculation further, or how to obtain a vocational evaluation to force your spouse or partner to find a job, please give us a call.  We can help you understand the support and vocational evaluation process in a free half-hour attorney consultation.