Visitation Concerns After Divorce May Have Solutions

by | Feb 13, 2019 | Child Custody |

Visitation and custody rights are often at the forefront of California parents’ minds when going through a divorce, and being denied these rights or having them limited can be devastating. Divorce already brings about large changes in a parent’s life, but being unable to visit with one’s own child can have a far-reaching impact on the future of children after a divorce.

According to NBC’s Verywell Family, visitation rights are often denied or limited due to underlying concerns outlined by the court, including residential location and distance from the custodial parent as well as safety conditions in the home of the parent seeking unsupervised visitation. As such, an alternative to denying visitation outright may be for the court to grant supervised visitation in locations of its choosing.

For a parent who has been denied visitation, Verywell Family suggests that all corrective action be taken to address concerns the court may have factored into its decision. This may mean attending required classes or counseling, demonstrating responsible behavior and displaying a commitment to maintaining positive life changes. In some cases, a motion may need to be filed in order to have a post-decree modification hearing. This hearing allows parents to re-visit the matter of custody and visitation after families have had a chance to evaluate life after divorce when emotions have calmed.

When faced with child custody and visitation concerns, most parents will turn to the assistance of a divorce or family law attorney. These legal professionals represent not only parents who have been granted limited visitation rights, but they might also ensure that the best interests of the child are placed front and center in the divorce process. For parents who feel that they have not been provided with equitable custody or visitation after the dissolution of a marriage, an attorney may also be able to work with the court to amend decisions through post-decree modifications.