The Importance Of Establishing Paternity
Mothers, fathers — and “putative” fathers — may face difficult disputes about child custody, visitation and child support. Contrary to popular belief, these issues are not always as clear cut as they may seem on the surface. Our litigators represent men and women in resolving these complicated family law disputes.
Although a child’s biological mother is usually easily determined or understood, the identity of a child’s father may be uncertain. Establishing paternity of the biological father is an important factor when resolving matters of child support, custody, and other issues such as inheritance or health care. If left unresolved, an alleged father may be required to make support payments for a child that he is not legally responsible for, or he may be left without options when trying to secure custody or establish parental rights.
The Definitive Answers You Need
In the past, circumstantial evidence may have been the only link connecting a father to a child born out of wedlock. However, DNA testing has made the process of determining parentage simple and efficient. By definitively establishing who is the biological father, child support payments can be implemented, and custody and visitation can go into effect.
Whether you are the father or the mother of a child, our lawyers will work with you to understand the options facing you and your child when it comes to establishing paternity. A few considerations might include:
- Were you and your partner married around the time your child was conceived?
- Do you have doubts about whether or not you are the biological parent?
- Even if it is determined that you are not the biological parent, do you want to have an active role in the child’s life?
- Although you are assumed to be the parent, you may want to establish proof to assert parental rights in conjunction with support obligations.
- If you question whether the best interests of the child are being accounted for, you can contact our attorneys to learn your options for establishing paternity and pursuing custody.
Compassionate Representation During Paternity Issues
Like other family law issues, the process of establishing paternity can strike an emotional nerve. At Miller & Associates, Attorneys LLP, we can provide you with clear, confidential counsel when discussing your options.
To start the process of resolving your paternity issues, contact our Rocklin/Folsom law offices by dialing 916-780-0848. You may also send us an email via our online contact form.